Sunday, June 17, 2012

Weekend recap

SATURDAY
I am anxiously awaiting child number 2,3,4,&5 to come back home. They've been gone for a week now visiting their cousins. It's been quite different without them. Frankly, I don't like it. However, I know they've been entertained beyond reason. :) Being left with the two youngest was challenging. And quiet. And challenging. You get the idea.

I wasn't surprised at the low levels of laundry, but found myself completely lacking motivation to even cook. Which is nothing new, but, I mean, seriously, why go to all that effort for a 3 and 5 year old who eat like birds? If they were happy with waffles for supper, then so be it. Dh and I haven't really had much interest in food, anyway, since Matt died.

However, if you had asked me about food on Thursday, that would have been a different story. Thursday was prep day for my colonoscopy on Friday. The torture of colonoscopy preparation is beyond description and I will spare myself and my readers from re-living its details. All I can say is the procedure itself is like a mini-vacation compared to the hell of the preparation. Of course, narcotics and "conscious" sedation (quite the oxymoron!) are good buddies you enthusiastically welcome along for the ride.

Unfortunately, the surgery results weren't as good as last time. The Dr. did inform me that I have diverticulitis and also removed one polyp. Whatever. I'm still blaming every health issue I have on grief. Since losing my son, I have dealt with health issues I have never had before, things like a kidney stone, anemia, and sciatic nerve pain, just to name a few.

Anyway - back to the good. I'm looking forward to seeing the kids. I've missed them, and I've missed my busy household.

SUNDAY
Father's Day. Needless to say, the holiday isn't the same when blended with sorrow. There's no denying that one of my children is missing. It's like an amputee trying to ignore the fact that one of their limbs is missing. I can smile at the things my other children do and say, but always, in the recesses of my heart, I am cognizant of the fact that all of them aren't here.


We don't usually do anything on Sundays, but tonight was "Faith and Family" night at the local baseball field with our favorite team and we joined a large group of church friends in attending. It was fun and entertaining with a special appearance by the Zooperstars. It's always good when your team wins, too, as ours did!

I'm just so happy to have the rest of the kids back home. It was a long week without them. Having them back actually motivated me to plan the menu for the week, too! Now that it's planned, I can reward myself with some reading. I found a new author I am highly impressed with (Ray Blackston). I found his book, "Flabbergasted," to be highly entertaining and incredibly well-written, so I was thrilled when I saw he had a sequel of sorts in "A Delirious Summer." It's been years since I've read a book good enough that I had to exercise self-control in reading! (Self-control because books that I can't put down, means that nothing else gets done!) Off to read. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment