Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Headstones and other hard stuff

John 16:22 "So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy."

Matt's headstone was placed on Sunday. Needless to say, it was a very heavy day. The week had been difficult enough, and getting the call regarding the headstone was like getting stepped on the chest, having the the air crushed out of me. Though it is a beautiful stone, it was a heart-wrenching reminder, anew, that our son is gone. Obviously, we knew it was coming since we had ordered it many weeks ago, but had no idea of the day it would be finished. Nothing really prepares you for the moment of reality, either. Seeing my child's name, my teenager's, on a headstone is so unreal. And excruciating.

Thankfully, last night was our GriefShare support group. I shared about getting the headstone and ten other heads nodded in unison. Yes, they understood. What a comfort. I can't begin to express how thankful we are for that group!

I cling to the truth of the verse above, that NO ONE will take away my JOY. No one will take away my joy. Now is my time of grief, but I will see Matt again. And I will see Christ. Jesus who died for me. I find myself wondering, though, why God doesn't give us more glimpses of heaven than He does. I just wish there wasn't a separation time in-between. *sigh* Meanwhile, I will trust in Him and in His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment