Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The sucky days



Photo from the Confessions of a Grieving Mother FB page
You know what really sucks after 3 1/2yrs. of grief? It sucks that the more time goes by, the less and less I hear Matt's name. It sucks that I can't join in conversations with other moms about their oldest or what their firstborn is up to. It sucks that I overhear other mothers complaining about their teenagers when I'd give anything to have mine back. (And I'm not, by any means, discounting that the teen years aren't beyond difficult.) It sucks to hear other parents of sixteen year old's talk about how their life is so much easier because their teenager is now driving, while all I can do is swallow the lump in my throat and try to ignore the pit in my stomach, praying that they don't ask me why my current 16yo. doesn't have her license. It sucks to listen to the conversations of moms lamenting how difficult it is to send their child off to college (and it IS), but realizing that I will never be able to say that of Matt. Oh, how grief sucks!

It sucks that grief is expected the first year after a loss, but after that people don't get why you would have a bad day. It sucks that my son would now be 19, but he can only ever be remembered as 16. It sucks that grief never completely goes away. It sucks that I wonder if I will ever have to bury another child before me. It sucks that there are days like this.

The sucky days are rough, and all I can do is pray for God's grace to get through them. Sometimes I do o.k. and other times, well, not so much. Sometimes I hide the hurt in anger, lashing out at those closest, and other times I deal with it bravely. Sometimes the worship and praise music is enough to keep me afloat, and other times it just doesn't quite reach the surface.

I tried valiantly to ignore the pain, but I sucked at it. I thought I could fake my way through it, but I wasn't kidding anyone. I failed miserably. But God? He saw. He saw it all. He heard it all. He never fails, and He is always waiting. He waits patiently for me to come to Him with my hurts, my disappointments, my cries of "It's not fair!" and "It's too much!" He bids me to come to Him, and He will be my strength. He will take this mess of a world with all it's pain and sadness and redeem it. He will not allow the death of His Son to be in vain. He is working in us and for us. He understands. He knows the pain of child loss.

I am thankful God's shoulders are broader than the sucky days. I am thankful He whispers truth, precious truth, at just the right time. I am thankful for His forgiveness and mercy. I am thankful that He is with me.

"Shoulders" - For King and Country

When confusion's my companion
And despair holds me for ransom
I will feel no fear
I know that You are near

When I'm caught deep in the valley
With chaos for my company
I'll find my comfort here
‘Cause I know that You are near

[Chorus:]
My help comes from You
You're right here, pulling me through
You carry my weakness, my sickness, my brokenness all on Your shoulders
Your shoulders
My help comes from You
You are my rest, my rescue
I don't have to see to believe that You're lifting me up on Your shoulders
Your shoulders

You mend what once was shattered
And You turn my tears to laughter
Your forgiveness is my fortress
Oh Your mercy is relentless

[Chorus]

My help is from You
Don't have to see it to believe it
My help is from you
Don't have to see it, ‘cause I know, ‘cause I know it's true

[Chorus]

My help is from You
Don't have to see it to believe it
My help is from you
Don't have to see it, ‘cause I know, ‘cause I know it's true


No comments:

Post a Comment